Vegan & Gluten-Free Spaghetti Bolognaise Recipe
- 1 cup soy protein/mince (I use Planet Organic brand)
- 2 tsp. vegan beef stock powder (I use Massel brand)
- 1/3 of a large eggplant
- 1 tin diced tomato
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced/grated
- 3-5 button mushrooms
- 1 carrot
- Mixed herbs (Master Foods do a good herb mix)
- ½ a jar tomato and mushroom pasta sauce (I used Dolmio’s, but be sure to check the ingredients – some pasta sauces contain cheese or milk derivatives)
- 1 packet gluten-free spaghetti
- Olive oil (around 2 tbsps)
- Cook spaghetti according to packet instructions.
- Prepare 1 cup soy protein – soak in 1L water, stir in 2 tsp’s of vegan beef stock; leave to soak for about 10-15 minutes, then drain.
- Dice the eggplant, mushroom, onion and carrot.
- In a large frying pan, add olive oil and onion, and fry until the onion starts to brown.
- Add eggplant, mushroom and carrot, and cook until eggplant begins to brown.
- While eggplant etc. is cooking, drain spaghetti and set aside.
- Add soy mince and tinned tomatoes, stirring regularly for about 5 minutes.
- Add pasta sauce and garlic, stirring through thoroughly.
- Add mixed herbs to taste.
- Simmer for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour over spaghetti and serve.
And here is a picture of my results:
This recipe is copyright Amanda Jenkins, 2008. Permission granted to reproduce as long as credit is given and it is left unchanged.